Your needs as a Senior are different from many buyers and it is wise to choose a real estate agent who is specifically trained in serving the Senior market. There aren’t many in Talbot County, but those who are can make a world of difference in meeting your needs and navigating the financial complexities.
The National Association of Realtors® has recognized the need for senior specialists by creating an advanced training program for real estate agents who focus on serving Seniors. Graduates of this program earn the designation of Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) and they have the tools to help you navigate the process without charging you more. Think of a SRES designation as a Master’s Degree in Senior Real Estate Services.
How to Find a Senior Real Estate Specialist
Fewer than 2% of Talbot County Realtors have earned a SRES designation. While more are making the effort to better serve our Seniors by gaining this knowledge, the supply remains limited. For up-to-date information on Senior Real Estate Specialists serving Talbot County feel free to call the Senior Services SourceBook at 410-443-2369.
In addition to providing the services you would normally require, a Senior Real Estate Specialist will be able to help you with the following:
- Senior resources and programs in Talbot County;
- Recognizing how a home can be adapted for safety, comfort and aging in place;
- Assembling a team of experts who serve 55+ clients and customers;
- The uses, benefits, procedures, and issues involved in reverse mortgages;
- Gaining an understanding of how Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security impact 55+ real estate decisions;
- Learning about the uses of pensions, 401k accounts, and IRAs in real estate transactions;
- Recognizing mortgage finance and loan schemes and scams that victimize senior borrowers;
- Helping integrate real estate property into estate plans;
- Identifying key life stages and transitions in relation to your housing choices.
The Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) designation is indicative of a higher and more senior-focused level of training, which most Talbot County real estate agents have not earned. Having an SRES agent on your team can make a world of difference as you consider what, in all probability, will be the largest investment you will make in your senior years.